Thursday, February 7, 2013

February 4th, 2013

So we were in the cyber we normally use, but the connection cut so we had to come to another cyber. The connection here isn't great either, but at least it's there a little bit.

I hadn't heard about the Hobo Traveler, but that figures that there would be something like that. I'll put that on the list of things to look up when I get home. I think he's spot on about the fact that Africans don't like being filmed. That's one of the reasons I've not taken very many photos/videos, I realllllly want to avoid looking like a tourist. I was thinking about taking a film of the taxi ride going to the baptism, but luckily decided not to, every single light was red. On the other hand, saw the US embassy for the first time. Looks like a standard US government building. I've been asked a few times if the embassy knows that I'm here. I'm not entirely sure, but I would think the church would tell them that.

Oh, and yeah, Obama's face is everywhere. Shirts, plates, just about anything. Not just him though, I've seen the President of Togo's face on dresses.

Missionary work was dry again this week. This week the only investigators to come to church for us were two men that we honestly don't even remember contacting. They say that we invited them a few weeks ago though. At any rate, we have their numbers and will be seeing them this week.

I'm not getting transferred just yet, but I am getting a new companion. It's another Ivoirien, Elder Gnenenon (yes I know his name has four "n"s). He's only about his 6 month mark, it should be interesting. I'm not sure if I'll be with him long term or not, there's another round of transfers in 2 weeks because 9 more missionaries will be going home/11 coming in. We'll see. I'll miss working with Elder Gnahore, he's a really hard worker and does a good job. Elder Bukasa is coming into my apartment, that'll be interesting, we spent 5 months together in the apartment at Gbedjromedé.

I play the piano about 2 out of 3 weeks for church. There are two members that know how to play a little, and I want to give them the chance to practice and serve too. I'm happy to help out though. I'm even getting better. Bizarrely, the baptismal service was the first time I've ever been able to play I Know that My Redeemer Lives. I'm also happy to report that I can play the piano and sing in French at the same time. Those were some tender mercies from the Lord during a rather difficult week.

This morning I accidentally decided it would be cool to read the "preparing for the temple" brochure in French. Now I really want to go back to the temple. Less than a year now!

My other big tender mercy this week was an inspiration to think of all the ways I've changed since the start of my mission. I really have changed quite a bit I think, and I still have a long time left. I'm definitely not perfect, and I never will be in this lifetime, but I'm doing better. It was comforting to see how I've increased in charity and patience overall.

Oh, I forgot the third tender mercy. This one is a big shout-out to Hermana Cooper, because she sent me BACON. She is officially the current holder of the "my favorite person" title. But for you the blog readers, don't give up hope! There is still plenty of time for you to send a package or lots of letters or something surprising, you too could be a winner!

Just wanted to let you know Mom, I tried to celebrate your birthday too. The fast food place near our apartment that makes soft serve ice cream claims to make milkshakes too. So I ordered a chocolate one. It was very interesting, pretty tasty actually. Unfortunately, 30 minutes later my stomach wasn't so happy. Oh well, tasted good at least.

I gave some letters to Elder Hanna to take back to the states, so that's heading your way.

I think I'm going to order the bead ties soon, any preferences from Dad, Wes, Cameron as to colors, simple patterns?

I've been told by a couple of Elders now that they are amazed that I finish the month with money left over. They think I'm really good at getting deals and whatnot. Unfortunately, I've determined that it's actually because I'm kind of a miser. Not that I love money, but I just don't like spending it, I'm worried I'm going to need it for something else later. Luckily, that doesn't seem to apply when I'm giving fast offerings for some reason.

I'm thinking about starting a blog when I get back: A poor man and his rice cooker. I'll only eat out of a rice cooker for a month. I think i'ts totally possible, rice cookers are amazing. Also, I've eaten rice for way too many meals in the last few days, we ran out of group spaghetti and I don't have any personal reserves. On the other hand, the PB&J sandwhich I had this morning was one of the best sandwhiches I've ever eaten, a big thanks to Elder Poll.

I don't think I'll need the international driver’s license renewed, if I will it can be done here.

As far as when I come back, I'm going to discuss that with President Weed next round of personal interviews. I'm not sure if I can/want to come back for winter semester. If I do, I think it would be one of those "leave friday, get home saturday, give talk sunday, sunday evening leave for school, monday morning classes start" scenarios. I'm not sure if I want that. You shouldn't have to extend anything with New Century or BYU though, that would only be in case of me coming home early that things would change. I think I'll tell President that he can either send me home early for school, or he can send me home so that I arrive on the 31st. I think that would be the best birthday present I could ever give you. Of course, if I tell him that, maybe he'll keep me until Valentine’s Day just to mess with me.

Okay, I think it's time to go, I love you all so much!

Elder Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment