Monday, September 9, 2013

August 17, 2013

Hi everyone!

Yup, I'm still hanging out here in the office. Made it through yet another transfer. We are back down to two Elders though, and the weird thing is, it's still me and Elder Mary. This is my first time since the MTC that I haven't had an African companion. It's different, that's for sure. Some ways better, some ways not, totally different. Generally, things are good though. I like Elder Mary, he just talks a lot. It's a bit of a change because Elder Tshizanga wasn't really much of a talker, but at least things are interesting. He's a pretty decent teacher generally, It's been good so far. I've never had a companion teaching exchange since coming into the office, so it's a bit of a fresh take on things. He's also the youngest companion (in terms of time on mission) I've ever had, so it's been interesting to look at his teaching style and compare it to what I did at that point in my mission, and what I do now. We actually haven't been able to get him driving yet, Elder Semken spent the entire week up in his office working on the proposed budget for the mission. I got to help a little bit with that (mostly technical stuff). 

Precious' husband is doing a lot better. He has a lot more mobility back in his arm and leg now, but very little strength. Considering the rehab capabilities there are here, it's pretty miraculous. We haven't been too involved for the last few weeks, but we're always ready to help out when we are needed. 

To my knowledge, President hasn't yet made any decisions about our departure date. He has a son and some grandsons in town this week, so I think he'll start making the important decisions once they go home. Part of my problem is that I've never been able to give him hard facts. Like I have no concept of exactly how much time I really need to prepare to go back to school.

Yes, somewhere it did pass my mind that I am the next missionary coming home. I got the Ward newsletter which told me (by the way, mail is getting here super fast right now. I don't know why, but I've seen letters take as little as 1 week). 

Wow, sounds like I'll have lots of tiny little cousins when I get back. I'm guessing family reunions have gotten a bit louder. 

Keyword of the week is common sense. If the medicine didn't heal you the first time around, maybe you have a different illness. So don't go ahead and take the treatment two more times without consulting anyone. Now the reason you are sick is because you overdosed on malaria medicine. 

 I'd like to get a lot of my souvenirs bought while I'm just with Elder Mary. We're probably going to check out the artisan center this next Saturday. I'll make sure to keep my eyes open for a nativity set, as well as other things.

Oh yes, we had our annual pan-african service activity day this morning. I got to wake up early on my PDay to go chop weeds! Yes, we were literally chopping away at the African brush... With Machetes. That was actually pretty fun. Got to let go of some residual stress. Got a bad neck burn again though. I recognized about 80% of the members at the activity (about 4 branches attended). Super fun to reconnect with people and do some service. I wonder though if we didn't take more pictures than weeds were chopped.

Saving the most important for last, the spiritual week. Personal and comp study were a bit skewampus this week with all of the various things that happened. That said, we still had some pretty cool stuff happen. We committed our ex JW investigator to be baptized. Kevin hits home runs on about 90% of the doctrine when we ask him questions. The other 10%.... He brings a hockey puck to the Baseball stadium. He has a really good testimony though and is super eager to learn. I think he is going to be just fine (and yes, he's the guy we teach at the french cultural center). He's already come to church 3-4 times now, and has loved every bit of it. 

Well, I'm going to leave off with that high note. I love you all, and hoping to receive letters soon from each and every one of you!
Elder Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment